Human organs have different pH values. pH values are a measure of acidity and alkalinity in a range of 0 to 14. 0 refers to very acidic whereas 14 is most alkaline, and a pH of 7 is neutral.
The human body is overall slightly alkaline with a pH ranging from 7.35 to 7.45. However, different organs have different pH values, which help them to fulfill various functions.
There is always a tussle between acidic foods and alkaline foods as to which one is better. Let us compare the benefits of both.
The alkaline diet generally consists of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
However, this is to note that an alkaline diet necessarily doesn’t mean that all foods will be alkaline in nature. They can also be acidic in nature and still have an alkalinizing effect on the metabolism.
Benefits of alkaline diet:
1. It promotes a lower weight and a healthy heart since it is low in fats and calories.
2. Researchers have found that an alkaline diet increases growth hormones. Thus, it promotes better memory, the cognitive function of the brain, and quality of life. Although it requires more medical backing.
3. Supplementing the diet with minerals can relieve back pain.
4. It also promotes healthy muscle and bones, thus preventing osteoporosis.
5. Less inflammation and more comfortable workouts are other benefits.
What can we eat?
An alkaline diet consists of a variety of foods. A few of them are:
1. Broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower
2. Leafy vegetables like spinach, sprouts, lettuce.
3. Fruits like tomato, lemon, banana, and coconut.
4. Seaweed and sea salt
5. Plant-based protein sources.
An acidic diet is usually having a pH of 4.6 or lower. Such a diet is usually rich in dairy products, meat, and processed foods.
Even though an acidic diet is necessary, but experts recommend it to be consumed the least.
Benefits of an acidic diet
1. It helps to release hydrochloric acid to break down food.
2. It is required to kill bacteria and other pathogens
3. Acidic foods are required digestion for better absorption
4. Also, it helps to eliminate undigested fiber and food.
What can we eat?
Always recommended in smaller quantities, these are few things that you can include in your acidic diet.
1. Diary products such as cheese.
2. High protein foods
3. Carbonated and processed foods
4. Fruits such as blackberries, pineapples, raisins, grapes
5. Fresh and processed meat
Conclusion: What is a better option for bodybuilders?
As a bodybuilder, you need to have a healthy diet. According to experts, a healthy diet should have 80% of alkaline food and 20% of acidic food. Since an alkaline diet helps in weight loss, is low calorie, and contains all vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, it is major. On the other hand, an acidic diet is also necessary for protein intake and better digestion.
Struggling with diet options, check our blogs on different diet types.