After months/years of hard work, you finally have been noticing how your body has been getting more toned. But the most common symptom of extreme weight loss is excessive loose skin. It can either be extra skin or loose skin that has lost its elasticity. Being on the extra heavier side of body fat percentage can damage collagen and the elasticity of the skin. Such excess skin can be painful and can become a hindrance in their day-to-day life.
Furthermore, it prevents them from being able to show off the body that they’ve worked this hard for. The amount of loose skin varies from person to person, it depends on how long they’ve been overweight, age, genetics, etc.
Bariatric surgery refers to the usual term used to define a range of weight-loss surgeries. Plastic surgery helps get rid of the excess skin and gives it a better shape. This evidently contours, lifts, and tucks the various parts of the body. Similar to that of any surgical procedure, cosmetic surgery comes with problems of its own. The risks pertaining are subjective to the patient and need to be discussed in detail with the surgeon. The higher the complexity, the higher the complication. The most common risks are infections, blood loss, lung or breathing problems, etc.
Pros of cosmetic surgery :
- Better mobility – The excess skin restricts movement especially in the abdomen region of the person. Once this is taken out of the picture, the person is able to do all their everyday tasks with much more ease. Moreover, carrying around this much skin can cause serious back issues. The removal of which reduces the stress and improves overall quality of life.
- Hygiene – Since this excess skin restricts mobility, it prevents the person from being able to keep every crevice of their body clean. This may lead to build up of bacteria, infections or even odor.
- Self-image – Everybody after their weight loss journey is excited to have achieved their “dream body”. Now imagine not being able to see the whole image because of the excess skin. Post surgery body would boost their confidence in every aspect of their life.
Cons of cosmetic surgery :
- Expensive – Any plastic surgery can be assumed to be on the pricier side. But it’s been noticed how more and more insurance companies cover the removal of excess abdominal skin. However, other areas of the body will come under cosmetic or plastic surgery.
- Painful Recovery – The post surgery process can be mentally and physically challenging. It’ll be extremely painful and can also be risky. The long recovery time can be gruesome, but studies show how people always found it worth it.
- Surgical risks – Risks of seromas or hematoma, due to the large incision made is possible. Infections and allergy to anesthesia are all various problems. However, most of these problems can be treated.
The entire process of the surgery can be scary and overwhelming. But for many, it’s their final step before gaining their confidence and taking back their life. Furthermore, such decisions should be made only after extensive research and professional consultation. At the end of the day, it’s your body, you get to choose what makes you happy.
For more :