Exercise is undoubtedly one of the most important tasks of our routine that shouldn’t be avoided. Infact, it makes us fit and helps us in getting into shape. Doing exercise on a regular basis can make the life processes carried out in our body smooth. But have you ever thought of what to do next ? I mean, what about the post workout process ? Let’s find out.
Workout should be a prominent part of our life. But the post workout process is equally important. When we perform any kind of physical activity, our body undergoes rapid respiration. Our muscles go through constant contraction and relaxation. Hence, after a workout, it is important to take care of our body to prepare it for further challenges.
Importance Of Post Workout Recovery
- It relaxes the body. Recovery is important because when we exercise, every cell of the body gets tired and goes into a state of oxygen shortage. Resting the body helps in recovering all the cells from the state of fatigue to a state of functioning.
- It makes the body cells and organs fresh and active. When one allows their body to breathe after a hardcore workout session, they feel rejuvenated. It prepares them for the upcoming routine.
- It makes the muscles regain their elasticity. During continuous contraction and relaxation, the muscles suffer a lot. Excess of it could lead to damage of fragile muscle fibres.
- It improves our overall performance. We have always read that ‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy’. Similarly, frequent exercise and lack of rest could lead to decrease in productivity. Furthermore, this situation could hamper your health in the long run.
- Post workout recovery brings back the energy once lost during the process. It strengthens our bones and muscles and gives them a new life.
- During recovery, the damaged and old cells get repaired. Our body uses a mechanism by which when we rest, it cleans the system from toxic substances and operates on the ones that are not well.
- Our body gets dehydrated post workout. In this case, drinking water or any other liquid (a part of recovery) helps in providing the required hydration and preventing cramps.
- Last but not the least, it calms down our mind. It prepares us for the next day mentally and makes us feel better from within.
The Bottom Line
Workout is crucial, but post workout recovery is essential. It provides our body with the necessary comfort and prepares it for other tasks. Drinking enough fluids, eating healthy food, and proper sleep are some of the activities that fall under the category of post workout recovery.